Michael A. Sclafani, MD
Specialties: Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy
Voted as a Top Doc by US News and World Report – Sports Medicine from 1999-2016
Voted as a Top Doc by Castle Connolly – 1999-2016
Certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Dr. Michael Sclafani is an extensively trained surgeon specializing in sports medicine and arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder and knee. He earned his undergraduate degree in biology from Colgate University, followed by his medical degree from New York Medical College. While completing additional medical training in general surgery and orthopaedic surgery at New York University Medical Center, Dr. Sclafani was initiated into the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society. He was also the recipient of the New York Medical Scholar award and the Ruggiero Surgery Award.
To further his orthopaedic surgery training, Dr. Sclafani studied with Dr. James Andrews at the renowned American Sports Medicine Institute in Alabama, completing a Fellowship in Sports Medicine. As a part of the program, he developed skills in leading arthroscopic shoulder and knee reconstruction techniques. He also had the opportunity to study injuries of the anterior cruciate ligament and present his research to the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM) and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS).
Dr. Sclafani is passionate about helping athletes return to play following knee and shoulder injury, and he incorporates advanced physical therapy training into their treatment. His extensive experience in arthroscopic reconstruction makes it possible to restore optimal function to the treated area with less downtime than traditional open surgery. Furthermore, Dr. Sclafani believes that minimal incision techniques offer competitors the best opportunity to achieve their previous level of strength and mobility following damage.
Sports Medicine Fellowship
Alabama Sports Medicine Institute
Dr. James Andrews and William Clancy
August 1993 – August 1994
Orthopaedic Surgery Training
New York University Medical Center
Dr. Theodore R. Waugh
July 1989 – June 1993
General Surgery Training
New York University Medical Center
Dr. Frank Spencer
July 1988 – June 1989
- New York Medical College, M.D., May 1988
- Colgate University, B.A., Biology, 1984
- Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners, 1989
- New York State Medical License, 1989
- New Jersey State Medical License, 1993
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1993
- Recertified, 2005, 2013
- Alpha Omega Alpha, 1987
- New York Medical Scholar Award, 1986
- Ruggerio Surgical Award, 1988
- Biology Honors Graduate
- Delta Kappa Epsilon, Mu Chapter
- Michael A. Sclafani, William G. Clancy, “Combined Reconstruction of the ACL & PCL for the Dislocated Knee”, American Journal of Sports Medicine, 1997.
- Michael A. Sclafani, Andrew E. Price, “Plastic Deformation of the Tibia”, Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics.
- Michael A. Sclafani, Raphael Longobardi, Justin G. LaMont, “Treatment of
Subtrochanteric Hip Fractures with the Reconstruction Nail”.
- “Combined ACL & PCL Reconstruction”, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery, Annual Meeting 1998.
- “ACL Reconstruction in the Athlete”, Annual Meeting American Orthopaedic Association of Sports Medicine, July 1999.
- “Modern Role for Osteotomy about the Knee”, New York University Orthopaedic Grand Rounds, October 1991.
- “Current Concepts in External Fixation of the Tibia”, New York University Orthopaedic Fracture Conference, March 1991.
- “Management of Proximal Humerus Fractures”, New York University Orthopaedic Fracture Conference, December 1990.
- “Total Shoulder Arthroplasty”, New York University Orthopaedic Grand Rounds, August 1990.
- “Long-Term Results of Total Hip Arthroplasty in Congenital Dislocation and Dysplasia of the Hip”,
Hospital for Special Surgery, Visiting Professor Conference, December 1987.
AAOS Video Presentations
- Andrews JR, Sclafani MA, Kuiper SD, Open Capsular Shift for the Throwing Athlete. Video Presentation, AAOS 61st Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA. February 1994
- Andrews JR, Sclafani MA, Kuiper SD, Arthroscopically Assisted PCL Reconstruction. Video Presentation, AAOS 61st Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA. February 1994.
- Andrews JR, Sclafani MA, Kulper SD, Biomechanics of the Elbow Joint During Pitching. Video Presentation, AAOS 61st Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA. February 1994.
- Andrews JR, Sclafani MA, Kuiper SD, Arthroscopic ACL/PCL Reconstruction for the Dislocated Knee. Video Presentation, AAOS 61st Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA. February 1994.
- Team Physician, 1997 – 1999
NJ Shorecats Professional Basketball
- Team Physician, 1984 – 1985
Birmingham Barons AA Professional Baseball Organization
Birmingham Bulls Professional Hockey Organization
- Team Physician, 1994 – Present
Ocean County College
Manasquan High School – Consultant